Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Little Embassy Faux Pas

This is Debbie. We arrived in New Delhi yesterday and little Miss Pretty Pretty (her name that we call her) did great on her first plane trip. She is a real trooper. Because of how the day went we had no breakfast and no lunch when we boarded the plane at 1:30. Yeah, a real trooper. (I know: bad parents!).

Today was Embassy day. We needed to go there to get her traveling immigrant visa. We did medicals in the morning, where we found out she doesn't like the doctor at all (she knew immediately where we were when we walked in) and that she doesn't like shots. She had to get four and I'm pretty sure the whole clinic heard her. In fact there was another family there doing medicals for their son they were adopting and he started crying when he heard her. We like to make an entrance.

We stopped at McDonald's for lunch. We had to eat at an India McDonald's one time while here. I got the veggie burger and Vic got the Chicken Maharajah Mac. Yep, no beef here. The only beef they have in India walks alongside the road. The fries tasted just like home. I miss America.

We made a stop at the India Gate and then it was on to the US Embassy. Side note to the other India adoptive parents out there, they have a new policy that you need to make an appointment before you go (of course check with your agency about this). It was a quick process; we were in and out with her visa in two hours. From what I understand that's not bad. We have her visa. She can go home with us now. I was a little disappointed not to see the marines guarding the entrance but it was still nice to technically be on American soil. (Especially the AC when we walked in).

Now the faux pas: I kept telling Vic that no cameras were allowed. Like three times. When we turned the corner and I saw the American flag I was so moved that (remember I miss America) I'm ashamed to say, I took a picture. Oops. Yes, we were stopped and I was asked to delete the photos. Yeah, Vic isn't going to let me forget that.

One last thing to add. We may be suffering from a little malady called "Delhi Belly". Yay for Immodium. Don't worry we'll be fine.

10 comments:

  1. This is Vic: "No cameras. No cameras Vic. You better take your camera out of your bag- oh look, the US Flag! (click goes her little camera)". Then some guard chases down our car, and makes Debbie delete it while he watches.

    I married an outlaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like something my wife would do. I'm guessing the "Dehli Belly's" had to come from the, "whatever it was" you ate at McDonald's. Travel Safe!! You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad all is well! Funny about the Mcdonald's deal!! We got our scrutiny finally and some new pics,I posted them this morning. Now all we need is gaurdianship and the passport. Now I am starting to feel like I am in a whirl wind!!:) Have a safe and great trip to AMERICA!!! YAY Gidget:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got Miss Pretty Pretty's visa! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Delhi. Go to Khan Market! Love that place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have done the same thing Debbie and took a picture! =) We are so happy for you guys and being able to read your journey with Pretty Pretty.

    Vic, when I met my parents (I was about 4) I was very quiet around my dad.... Big and scary I thought. Never smiled, just cried.. ALOT!! However my dad just loved me and soon I began to laugh and talk until he asked me to take a breath and not say anything for 30 seconds. My relationship with my dad is one I will cherish always and Maddy will too with you. =) Can't wait to see you guys. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds even scarier than the police...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLOL That's so hilarious! I wonder why you weren't allowed to take a picture of the U.S. FLAG! Security reasons I guess. Very funny, Debbie!
    -Elizabeth C.
    p.s. we eat at McDonald's in every country we visit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is for Sammy:Congrats!You made it to the art fevstival.YAY!
    By the way,Mrs. Jonston (Yes,our 2nd grade teacher) told you to be safe.In the art fair,this made us laugh.WE SAW A STARWARS ART PROJECT!!!!Hehe.I'll send you a picture of my Book-in-a-Bag.When are you coming back?
    Always remember:we're always pray'n for ya!
    Bring Divebomb on Monday (or when ever you are coming back)and some other autobot and decepticon legends.

    Best friend forever,
    Paolo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Vic:

    Michael, why did they show me a picture of you and ask if I knew you?

    Michelle, thank you for that encouragement!

    From Sammy: Paolo, what's your book in a bag again? Do you want a transformer from India? Which one? Ejector or Divebomb? Thank you for praying for us! Did you see my robot statue? (in the art festival that is) I have been to Brussels, Belgium, and when I was there I saw the Transformer Ravage and tell Braden that I also saw an ARF Trooper action figure.

    Your best friend,

    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Growing Family,

    I make time each night to read of your adventures, it is like a fantastic movie really that has suspense, humor, faux pas', intrigue, tears, warm fuzzies and all without passport or shots needed. Thank you for sharing.

    I have imagined the diminutive responses of your daughter and Sammy's wonderment at a baby sister and hot food,sweat and flags, this movie has it all. Love you guys - praying you home. Renee'

    ReplyDelete