Thursday, March 11, 2010

In India!


Here's an Update: The flight to NY was uneventful, but the at JFK in NY, we were told TWICE the wrong terminal and gate to go to... and there was a woeful lack of information on screens telling us anything we could use. As a result, we ended up running at top speed to literally be the last ones on the plane to Brussels- I think they were waiting for us.

So we get on the plane, and I realize I don't have my phone. I close my eyes with the sinking realization that in our extreme rush to get through security and run to the right gate and make this plane, I had to put my phone in a separate tray for the x-ray, and I never picked it up. We just ran off. I tell one of the flight attendants, who tell security, and they take my boarding pass and jog away (presumably to the security checkpoint which was faaaaar away). Now they can't take off since I don't have my boarding pass. At the very least, they need that back. So once again, the whole plane sits there waiting. We all were praying, and miraculously, they show up with my phone!

Brussels was great, we made our connecting flight to Chennai, and even had great seats. The international flights were really nice, although the closer we got to India, the spicier the food seemed to get. I and Debbie were okay with that, Sammy not so much. We got out in India and got stuck at customs since we didn't happen to have the exact address we were staying at. Finally producing a local address, the customs lady (who was very annoyed and possibly drunk with power) decided that she would let us pass since we had a small boy with us. Thank you customs lady.

We didn't get our bags rifled through, and it wasn't super crowded since we landed at about 1:30 AM Friday morning. We met up with our contact, but due to some miscommunication we had to figure out where our driver was. So we waited, sweating for a while in the warm and humid area right outside the airport, and finally ended up catching a ride to a hotel for the first night. Starting tomorrow we will be at the place we were supposed to stay. We are okay with this hotel for tonight though, the AC is ice cold and it is very nice.

Tomorrow we intend to go to the place where Thomas (doubting Thomas from the Bible? That guy) was killed and/or buried. The next day, we go for our first day at the orphanage, and meet our daughter!

On a side note, it is about 4 AM here, and as I type this, Debbie just sat bolt upright in bed and said, "I used tap water when brushed my teeth." We are supposed to use bottled water. Eh, she probably won't get malaria, right?

I knew there was a reason we were all taking malaria medication :)

I will post some photos of some stuff up to this point. We miss all of you, thank you for your prayers! They are making a difference!

12 comments:

  1. We are praying for you!! An interesting first leg of your journey. How spicy is the food now?
    Pastor G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! That's awesome! What a journey already...hahaha! We are praying diligently!
    Pastor B :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so excited to hear from you and we have being praying for you guys! Please keep the updates coming.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you and for Maddy! I know the Lord will continue to be with you all on this exciting journey. I can't wait to meet your precious daughter. I would be more than happy to introduce her to chocolate, if she hasn't been already. :-) Love you all, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are there safe and sound!!! I used tap water to brush my teeth a few times while in India and never caught any diseases. :) Can't wait to hear all about your first meeting with your beautiful daughter!!!

    Kristi W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! What an adventure!! We are praying for you guys. So exciting! Can't wait to hear more. We love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the only thing the tap water can do is cause some stomach issues (which would not be fun). I wrote in BIG LETTERS on my toothpaste and toothbrush to "USE BOTTLED WATER" when I was in India:-)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just so you know,this is Paolo.I hope you have a great time in India.Tell Sammy that the Star Wars the Clone Wars sesson #2 is OVER.I DO NOT know when #3 will start.I am on chapter 5 on my transformers book.The story about you guys in India was fun to read.Have you heard what will be Spirit Week yet?You guys relly went to where Thomas died?!?!?Anyways,have fun in Asia.

    Have fun,
    Paolo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad and u made it safe and that Debbie has her phone!! What a pile luggage you have!! Gidget:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool to read how you are doing. I have been praying and will keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, one entire suitcase was full of donations for the orphanage. Thanks for all the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah right. The trip to NY had delightful bathrooms. THEY WERE FILTHY!!!!!!!!!

    Sammy

    ReplyDelete